Built in 1864, Galle Face is the oldest colonial hotel in Asia. Once a Dutch house called The Galle Face House which the gentlemen of the colonial area used to meet, it was then taken over by four British investors with the idea to make it “the best hotel east of Suez”.
This legendary hotel has been host to all the most famous travellers and businessmen within 150 years; from Lord Mountbatten to Alec Guinness who turned the Kwai River Bridge in Sri Lanka. This imposing white building, facing the Indian ocean like a steamer, has been completely renovated without losing its old charm. With splendid verandas in a row facing the sea, fans slowly brewing the sea air and its magnificent lobby … The one called “The Grand Dame” remains faithful to its tradition of exceptional hospitality which made its reputation throughout Asia.
Superior rooms (queen or twin), colonial style
Landmark rooms (queen or twin), modern style
Premier Ocean view (king or twin),
Premier Ocean Balcony (King or twin)
You will have the choice between different atmospheres, different cuisine;
– The Verandah, where you will be served breakfast (do not miss the Egg Hopper, Sri Lankan specialty consisting of an egg cooked at the bottom of a crepe of rice and coconut milk, a delight!)
– Sea Spray, fish restaurant with fabulous views
– 1864, gourmet restaurant in a more cozy atmosphere
But also different types of bars:
– The Traveler’s Bar, our favorite! The perfect Colonial Atmosphere!!! Ideal for a small bits aperitif accompanied by excellent cocktails
– The Pool Bar, to sip a cocktail by the pool
– Chequerboard, emblematic of the Galle Face, facing the ocean, do not miss the flag ceremony every evening at sunset!
– In … On the Green, real pub with live music, broadcast of sporting events, quiz nights
– The Wine Cellar, whose sommelier carefully selects the wines that will be served in 1864 and will be happy to make you taste them from 5pm every evening.
Salt Water Pool facing the ocean, Spa L’Occitane, tour desk, house historian who offers guided tours on Tuesdays and Thursdays, croquet, museum, library where you will find the books of all the famous writers who have stayed at the Galle Face as well as chess, backgammon, etc …